The most common question I get when I book someone for a consultation is “what do I need to bring with me?” For most people, it’s not every day that you need to consult an attorney. The purpose of our consultation is for me to evaluate your potential case and present you with your legal options. Below are a few tips for your attorney consultation that will help both you and I have a productive meeting:
- If you have been served with papers from the court, this will likely be the most important information for an attorney to review so make sure you bring them with you. A petition that has been served must be answered generally on the Monday after 20 days since you were served with papers, so time is of the essence.
- Documents help attorneys establish facts; if you have a contract that you think has been breached or communications (email, text, messages) that help your claim or defense, bring these as well.
- A timeline of events and list of potential witnesses that you and the attorney can look over may help establish a strategy. While minor details can be put together later, the most important date is when the incident that led to your need for an attorney happened. This is critical to make sure the claim is within the statute of limitation.
- A list of questions you may have for the attorney is best written down before your consultation, there are many things discussed in an attorney consultation and writing these questions down will help get you the information you need to hire the correct lawyer for your case.
- A method of payment; if you have found the right attorney for your case, be ready to retain them. There are not many legal issues that get better with time. If you have a claim or a claim against you, it is best to get started on it as soon as you can. Most attorneys take cash, check, or credit card. You can always ask the attorney if other payment arrangements can be made.
You can click on the link below to contact us about scheduling a free consultation to evaluate your case:
Schedule a Consultation link